Music(al) Monthly | February 2016

Shh, let's pretend there's been a distortion in the fabric of time and somehow this was posted at the beginning of March.



I've been at a loss about what to put in February monthly collection. The  respective note section in my calendar was glaringly empty. I thought about it long and hard, tried to remember what I listened to at work, what I sang to myself when waiting for a tram... And then the theme was clear: musicals.
I usually go through a "musical" phase during witner time. This year has been no different. So I suppose this is something between February music and a compilation of my all time  favourite musicals. Here they come, in no particular order:


West Side Story. Leonard Bernstien is a genius! This music  It's everything! ... I see I was wrong when I said there is no particular order to these. West Side Story is my absolute favourite simply because of the music  Picking one song to represent the masterpiece is tricky. There are so many wonderful numbers: the "Mambo" dance sequence, "America" with the super-sassy Anita (who is an awesome character! If I was a this kind of a performer, she would be my dream role.),... One could name all the tracklist. There is not a single song, not one bit of music that is not remarkable. However, the one I'm choosing for you today, is the only song about my name that doesn't make me cringe. On the contrary, I love it with all my heart and it is very special to me: "María".
Fair warning to all prospective suitors: do not attempt to serenade me with this. Unless you can sing it like José Carreras.



Singing in the Rain. My annual Christmas treat. Or any other time of the year treat. I've loved this since I was little. The funny thing is how my favourite songs change over the years. What remains the same though is that my eyes are glued to the feet of the dancers, my heart skipping with delight and awe (and at the same time, sinking with regret that I am not a tap dancer). I remember back in grammar school years, we used to do "film nights" every now and then. (We stayed in school and watched films all night long.) One time the theme was musicals, one of them being this classic :) and I was so proud that many of my mates, who were not into this kind of music at all, found it entertaing and charming. So much so that we ended up using some of the music for our showcase performance at our prom ball :) Now for one of the iconic tap routines, let us applaud the often overlooked and underrated talent od Donald O'Connor (the other dancing bloke aside from Gene Kelly).



Jesus Christ Superstar. Ever since I can remember, we have always listened to this in my family. I mean the original soundtrack from the 1973 film version. On a vinyl :)  Musically, it's a blast! My favourite A. L. Webber without a doubt and I love the flavour of this particular recording. I come to realize that this musical has played a part in my learning english. When I listen to it now, also because I understand singing a little better nowadays, I bask in the nuances of accents, linking of phrases and words... Small things that make my ears very happy :) And out of nowhere I find myself remembering lyrics that made no sense to me when I was a child and they were just an odd, yet pleasing, mixture of sounds. Singing-wise, Mary Magdalene is obviously a part for me, isn't it? I mean... The clue is in the name ;) Though recently I've been challenging myself to learn "Heaven On Their Minds" as sung by Carl Anderson (and, unsurprisingly, I've been glouriously failing.) I'm just completely in awe of that masterful vocal performance!



Phantom of the Opera. Oh how we used to gush over it with the girls. Or were we gushing over Gerard Butler? I can't remember exactly... ;) Theatre within theatre, big production, great costumes, choreography,... I do like big dance numbers like "Masquerade", I do like clever songs like "Past the Point of No Return", I adore "Music of the Night", but for some reason, it is this one that has always moved me the most and sends shivers down my spine every. single. time.



My Fair Lady. Combine music, englishness and Phonetics? I'm in! My favourite song of the whole being "I Could Have Danced All Night", because I can relate to it very well :) So let's watch poor Audrey Hepburn acting her best, not knowing that her singing would be ditched and replaced with s vocal recording by miss Marni Nixon. The shame that they let Audrey practice and work really hard on her untrained voice, while it was clear that some of the songs were out of her range, and all along the big bosses had been planning to use a voice over! :( 


*Les Miserables. An honourary mention goes to Les Mis. Although I do not consider myself a big "fan" of this particular musical, there is just something magical about it that gets me. It has something to do with the music and the history, tradition and emotion of so many people invested in this play for more than 30 years now... It's magic. I have no other explanation :)

Les Mis bring me to an interesting question of what it is to "be a fan" of a musical, considering that out of these 6 that I mentioned I've only seen 2 on stage. But that's a topic for another time maybe. For now I shall say goodbye.

Leave me a comment telling me about your favourite musicals and musical theatre numbers :)


Comments

  1. I think that The Sound of Music shouldn't be missing on a list...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLm07s8fnzM

    But my current musical obsession is Hamilton. I'm sure they are going to snatch all the Tonys this year.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wboCdgzLHg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adalberto :)
      I must confess, I've never seen/heard The Sound of Music. Shocking, I know. I think it's because I read a book version of the story and I didn't like it at all. It just wasn't a very good book, so I never felt compelled to explore it more, not even in musical form.
      Hmm.. I'm starting to hear a lot of good things about Hamilton :) It's an audatiously intriguing concept mixing hip hop and period costumes...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hudson Taylor at Electric Ballroom

Milé divadlo, chybíš mi!

Music Monthly: September 2013