Music Irregular: Summer Mix 2015

Autumn begins tomorrow. So I want to get in quickly before it's too late and send the summer off with some music, which, as you have guessed already, I intend to share with you. Given that I've been neglecting you and this blog for so long, today you'll be getting an extra large portion of tunes (and possibly of my unnecesarry ramblings as well). Here are some of my favourite tracks that I've been listening to this summer. Click here if you want to listen/watch all together in a neat YouTube playlist (including a surprise).



Starting off with a bit of a cheat, because this song has been begging for my attention on and off all the way throughout the spring. Mainly when it featured (multiple times) on Dancing With the Stars. I am yet to test this at an actual party with other people, but I daresay this song such an upbeat ball of energy that it just pulls you up to the dancefloor! And then you're hit with the painful realization that your feet are not quite (read: nowhere near) as swift as those of the really cool talented and hard working dancers on the show. A girl can dream, right?


Slowing this party down a little, in July I managed to catch up on Grey's Anatomy. Let's not talk about that. Ugh, finally, it's over! It was predictable and... well I haven't been happy with the writing for the last 1-2 seasons. But still I need to watch to know what happens... You know what I mean? Yep. Let's not talk about that :D Anyway, one the things for which the series is well known is the way they incorporate songs into the episodes. Often it's a very emotional end of an episode where a melancholy tune accompanies the visuals. A number of artists havegot a bit more noticed because their song appeared on GA. I picked two songs for you, both of which I like, because they are cover versions that completely changed the mood of the songs and yet, miraculously, they work. They have very different atmosphere than the originals, but you find that it suits the meaning just perfectly...



Wouldn't be me if I didn't plug my... Can I say they are my favourite band? Certainly up there, somewhere at the very top. I'm not sure I have a favourite right now. "Who is it???" I hear you ask. Only Flyte :) The boys with the brightest future ahead of them, the ones that I accidentaly discovered when I was in London. Since then I've had a musical crush on them and my heart is breaking that I don't get to see them live. Here's one of their recent releases with a very fun and interesting stop motion music video.


Here comes the part where the colleague with whom I share my office went on a holiday (I have colleagues now. And an office. Have I mentioned that I have a job?), which meant that I was free to choose my own radio station and I turned to BBC Radio 1. Reminded me the good old times when I was at uni and listened to it quite regularly. Similarly to back then, the result is getting to hear songs that maybe have not reached our Czech radio stations yet and maybe they never will, because they're too... something and not enough something else. Here's one by Everything Everything.


The signature track of summer 2015? For me, it's undoubtedly Lean On by Major Razor and DJ Snake feat.  I even managed to have it played at a party. Yes, dancing has occured. My soul is content. For next time I intend to draft a dance crew and learn the actual proper dance moves and do a little routine. Can you hear it? It's the sound of dancefloors that need to be ruled ;) 


Dismissed by ones, loved by others, here's the currently very popular cover of Ain't Nobody (Loves Me Better). Yes, I do realize that by now you've all heard it a million times on the radio and are starting to get sick of it, but bear with me for a moment. I for one quite like it. Covers are not meant to be the same as the original. There is only one original and it is priceless. This new rendition is light and breezy and soft, just like the summer can be. Well sung and well produced. What else do you want in a summer song?


For some reason I found myself listening to James Bay a lot. Usually at night when I was getting ready for bed or trying to clean up the mess in my room. He has this sort of soothing, yet incredibly raw and honest, emotional sound... Incredible talent. If you check out one of the acoustic videos, where it's just him and guitar, no additional production,... jaw-dropping. I might have to buy the album.


Back to Radio 1 discoveries: Go by Chemical Brothers feat. Q-Tip. What a track! I'm not overly familiar with what the Chemical Brothers have done in the past. Chances are I know a song or two, but am not aware it was them. Not a band I would go to for songs when I'm at a loss about what to listen to. Anyway, Go is such a perfect burst of energy!!! Just what you need when falling asleep at the office, because it's so damn early in the morning. It's electronic with a retro vibe... That's what I hear. Don't ask me to pinpoint it, I'm not an expert. I recommend just listening first and then maybe watching the music video later. It's visually very interesting (choreography, colours and architecture) One of the most original MVs I've seen recently. But once you see it, you cannot unsee it and your perception of the song will be influenced by it forever more.


And another one of those unmissable hits of this summer. If, anytime in the future, near or far, somebody asks me what 2015 sounded like in pop music, I would play them Shine by Years and Years. Dare you not to sing along *oooh ooh ooh oooooh* :)



And that's it for the summer. Let me know in the comments what for you was the sound of summer 2015. I'll go wrap up in something warm, light some candles, etc. Whyyyy is it so cold? I was roasting like 5 minutes ago... If you keep all your fingers crossed, there will be more music at the end of the month ;)
Take care xx

Comments

  1. Ohhooo, Music posts are back!
    The sound of summer for me had definitively an Italian accent as I spent my vacation in Italia and brought back home some Italian pop songs (I even went to the concert of my fav Italian singer there). For some reason I find Italian popmusic much more... I don't know... meaningful maybe.
    This one is actually a cover, original is from the 60s, penned by Ennio Morricone:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqGiKdy8xjs
    This one I heard live, the whole concert was an awesome experience:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaioAfWr42M
    And this one has nice dance beats:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww7RHpetMSE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhooo, my faithful commentator is back! ;) Grazie per il tuo commento e le canzoni :P

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hudson Taylor at Electric Ballroom

Milé divadlo, chybíš mi!

Music Monthly: September 2013