Music Monthly: December 2013

Five days into the new year and already I feel like I'm lagging behind with loads of things. Mainly with my beloved bloggie. But fear not readers, I'm on a mission to fix things asap. Here is your complimentary edition of Music Monthly to wrap up 2013.

Starting off with a bit of a dark waltz by a Czech band Mandrage. I'm not particularly interested in them, but from time to time they come up with something fresh and new that catches my ears. Moreover, as I have been indulging in Dancing With The Stars again (American season and the concurring Czech one), when I first heard this, my head immediately translated it onto the dance floor. I wish somebody could dance to this on the show.



Happy. I think this doesn't need any explaining. That was me in the first half of December. All busy with singing, blogging and other life thingies... I was intentionally trying to keep myself busy so that I wouldn't have time to be sad. You know what? It works :) It works, but somehow among all the business and happiness I forgot I should to be looking for a job. Oops. Anyway, this is the "Happy" song by Pharell Williams. One of his many successful hits of 2013. It does seem a little bit long and repetitive, but then again... There can't be enough happiness, can there? and it gives you plenty time to come up with yet another little dance move. So, get ready to sing along and enjoy :)



This next song has been on my radar for a while now, pretty much since the summer, but it has fought its way into my music selection just now. Probably thanks to Emeli's magical voice and two specific lines of the lyrics. See if you can guess which are the ones I'm referring to.



Just when you thought we would get through the end of December without another Hudson Taylor video... Tadaaaa! I am not even going to apologize for it, because they are just so good... And I make it my secret (not so secret) mission to spread the word and make them known among people who live in oblivion and are therefore missing out on some proper quality music! This is a Christmas thing they did a couple of years ago, a cover of "Winter Song" by Ingrid Michaelson and Sara Bareilles. I tried checking out the original, but sadly must conclude that I don't like it one little bit. If I had heard the original first, I never would have loved this sad wintery romantic piece of music so dearly as I do.



And last, but by no means least, a little blast from the past. While I was decorating our Christmas tree, I watched the 1953 film musical Singin' In The Rain, which I'm sure you all know very well. (If you don't, shame on you! What have you been doing with your life? Go and watch it now! It is an essential part of cultural education!) Since my early teens I have been quite hooked on this film and its music and dances. Come to think of it, I was quite a classy teenager: obsessing about the likes of Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly :) So, here is one of the epic dance numbers, which have always pinned my eyes to the screen so I wouldn't miss a thing... I still don't get it how it is possible for somebody to dance like that and make it look like the easiest thing in the world. I often have to remind myself that my eyes deceive me and that if I took up tap dancing, I wouldn't be dancing like that in a couple of... well,... never. I would never dance like that. Anyway, I was pleased to find that sound-wise I still remember it to the last click of a heel. Here's the fabulous Gene Kelly and the often overlooked but no less talented Donald O'Connor in "Moses".



I am quite astonished and equally pleased with myself that I actually completed Music Monthly for 2013 in good time. This is very unlike the previous year, where it all tragically fell apart. This is quite an achievement for a chronic procrastinator like me :) So thank you all coming along and reading and listening!!! Wish me luck for the upcoming months, and above all pray for some good music. Sometimes it's hard fishing for some quality on the radiowaves.

I will see you shortly with a rambly new-year-sy blogpost. In the meantime, take care of yourselves! xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hudson Taylor at Electric Ballroom

Music Monthly: September 2013

Milé divadlo, chybíš mi!