Music Monthly: April 2013

Hellooo, anybody reading this? No? That’s fine, don’t worry about it. I know we are already 10 days into May, but I am not giving up on this! Neither should you! How was your April? Mine was not very eventful. The living room sofa and I are in a pretty much symbiotic relationship by now. I’m not sure where I end and the sofa begins. I assure you it brings me no pleasure whatsoever. Not anymore. I just can’t wait to be able to jump up and start moving and exercising and dancing and… just doing all the things that I can’t do now! But it seems it will take some more time. So while we wait for my body to stop messing about and actually get better, why not listen to some good tunes? As usual, an all-genre playlist summarizing my recent musical experience is awaiting you:

Aaaaah! This thingy got me really really excited at the beginning of April. I didn’t even know people were still making this type of music. And they are! All right, I will catch my breath and give you some context, shall I? The band is called Caravan Palace, it is a French ensemble and they play,… wait for it… electro swing! I do have a soft spot for the 30’s type of jazzy and swing music. And I find the idea of this old genre mixed up with contemporary electro effects purely brilliant. It makes it more relatable to 21st century audience, while retaining the original sound, which, given its retro and vintage vibe, could prove quite popular at the moment. This particular song, "Rock It For Me", has an adorable animated video with the cutest dancing robot you will ever see :)



Now here’s an interesting artist to look out for: Tom Odell, a 22 year-old English singer-songwriter, this year’s winner of the BRITs Critics’ Choice Award. This song of his has comfortably settled in our radio stations in the past few weeks, because… probably because it’s quite good. It sounds… promising. I love the arrangement: how the song gradually grows and grows until it gets so unbelievable intense that it grips the inside of your soul and twists it around. Be sure to give it a listen and remember Tom Odell’s name, so you’re not surprised later when he is a worldwide famous star. Here it is: "Another Love."




Riding on the folk-rock wave of fame that Mumford & Sons caused, here come The Lumineers with "Ho Hey", which I am certain you all know by now. It’s been around for a couple of weeks. This song seems to have decided to follow me around in April and it randomly pops up on the radio, or when I walk into a shop, or wherever actually… Good thing is that it never fails to cheer me up and always, always makes me sing along. It’s quite simple, it’s got real instruments, easy to learn, folksy type of thing. If this is your cup of tea, enjoy :)



Last but one, I give you a recent hit by an English band called Bastille. The track titled "Pompeii" is actually the 4th single from their debut album, but it flew up the Official Chart and settled at a very nice no.2. I can’t think of what I should say about it. I suppose that for me personally, what makes me like "Pompeii" so much is the lyrics. The lyrics of impending tragedy and destruction and… thoughts, life choices and decisions in face of all that. Give it a listen. I’ve chosen a lyrics video rather than the official music video, which can be slightly distracting from the point of the song.



As I have been recently forced to spend most of my time at home, it should be no surprise that whilst surfing the lengths and widths of the internet I keep discovering some great new people. New to me, that is. My latest awesome discovery is a tall Irish boy with a guitar, a lovely voice and a good heart. He is called BriBry and for some reason both the music and the lyrics of his songs touch my heart. Simple as that. Must be the Irish charm or what :) I have had a hard time deciding which song to play in my selection. In the end I’ve gone for "Your Life Over Mine", even though I’m not entirely sure I like the music video. Because to my untrained eye it seems slightly out of sync. I could be wrong though. It’s still a lovely song that makes you smile :) (Also I feel like I should mention that all of his youtube revenue goes to charity, so if you decide to check out his channel and accidentally end up watching all of the videos, you’re actually doing a good thing.)



And that’s it. I hope you’ve found at least 1 new song in this issue that you like :) and I hope to see you back here in about a month to check out some more music. If you have any tips or suggestions on what I should listen to, leave a comment below. Actually, even if you don’t have any suggestions, please leave a comment. Seriously. This is my 6th article on Dance the Drizzle and so far there is zero comments. I feel like I’m doing something wrong. I’m pretty sure that I am. Whatever. Thanks for reading this and I’ll see you next time :) xx

Comments

  1. And I have one tip for May! :)
    Fix Me Up by Zach Sobiech and Sammy Brown.... I know Zach from "My Last Days" soulpancake youtube and it is really strong strong strong!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the prize for my historically first comment on this blog goes to... Tere! Thanks for your tip. I'm afraid it won't fit in May edition, but I'll see what I can do in June ;)

      Delete
  2. I am reading your post but long after ur post was posted :D
    lovely songs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. and do add the follower gadget or the google plus one so many can follow :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hudson Taylor at Electric Ballroom

Music Monthly: September 2013

Milé divadlo, chybíš mi!