Thoughts On Bungee Jumping and such

Recently, I have noticed a lot of youtubers skydiving, bungee jumping,... doing a lot of super exciting things. It might have something to do with the whole thing of... "I'm in my late teens/early 20's and I have no idea what to do with my life, so I'm trying as many new things as possible, hoping that in the meantime a miracle will happen and I will figure it out." Well if that has worked, congratulations! I am sincerely happy for you! There is some kind of a modern trend of hunting down adrenalin, feeding on excitement flowing through your body. Step out of your comfort zone, overcome your fears! It's a challenge! An experience! And when you have done this and your adrenalin level drops again, find another one!

I'm sure they are not bad things to do... I guess I'm just not convinced about the importance of this kind of experiences.

Please note that I'm not trying to criticize anybody, I am just trying to offer another viewpoint.

It seems like a lot of people have lists of "Things to do before I die", which include a range of activities from patting wild animals on safari in Africa, to skydiving or travelling around the earth in a hot air balloon. I don't know about you, but my "list" is very different. If you ask me what are the things I want to do before I die, I'd say:
  • be a better person
  • a meaningful job that I could do well and it would be good and helpful for other people
  • find the love of my life and marry him
  • sing more
  • dance more
  • make things. more.
  • forgive more
  • say that I'm sorry more
  • just... love more.
Ok, maybe there is one thing on my list that kind of fits in with the other style and that is "try living in the UK". But that's not my point :D

It might be that I am just a tad older than most of the skydiving youtubers, maybe I am a little bit more "settled". Maybe they have crazy amounts of youthful energy that I don't have. Actually I'm not sure that I have ever had it, but that's all right. I'm not saying that if you like adrenalin and you want to do a lot of exciting things, that you are a shallow and unloving human being. Chances are that you're not and that you want to have a meaningful life full of love, just as anybody else. It's not wrong if you want to go out and do things.

I just can't help thinking about the bigger picture... If you fast forward till the day your time is up and you're gone, how do you want to be remembered? Do you want your obituary to say: "He/she did some crazy $#@* all right! travelled all over the place, swam with the sharks, climbed Mt Everest..." I want mine to say something along the lines of "She was really good at english. She loved music and, oh yeah, she wrote about it on that bloggy thing or what... And she was a -insert meaningful job-, she did that really well. She married a guy and they had -insert number- kids. And they did a quite allright job at the parenting thing... And she was a good, loving person. "

Bottom line of what I'm trying to say is, please be careful and... well, first of all, be careful and don't die in a horrific skydiving accident or something, but mainly, don't give these experiences more meaning, more importance than they deserve. In the end, your life is not measured by whether you've jumped out of an aeroplane or not. It's measured by the relationships you've built with people around you, by whether you were kind, whether you showed mercy, forgiveness... love. 

Actually, if jumping out of an aeroplane could be a life-changing event, if it could help you to be a better person to the people around you... now that would be awesome! But I don't even know if that is possible. Has it happened to you? I doubt it. But if it has, tell me in the comments. I want to hear your stories. Also, do you have a "bucket list"? What are the things that you are trying to achieve before your time is up? Discuss...

Hm... maybe I should make a youtube video on this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hudson Taylor at Electric Ballroom

Music Monthly: September 2013

Milé divadlo, chybíš mi!