Music Monthly: November 2013

Is it me or does the time really fly by faster and faster? We've turned our calendars onto the next month and you know what that means: that I should be sitting down and writing up some music. Here it is :) Music-wise November has been very optimistic. Not just music-wise. I'm still putting on a brave face and refusing to get upset about life things. Yay!

First up, let me play you something a little bit personal. On the very first of November, the choir that I sing in had a little launch party for our new CD :) Technically it's our 4th album, but the first that we recorded properly in a studio, so it is quite a big deal for us. The record is a compilation of (mainly) advent and Christmas songs from all over Europe, in our own arrangements. Sometimes I say that it's our attempt to see how many languages we manage to mutilate within one hour :D Then again, we are not linguists, we are musicians and what we lack sometimes in pronunciation, we make up for with our hearts and our vocals (hopefully!). At the beginning of the month I was unfortunately attacked by a vile sore throat, so I couldn't sing at the launch party. Nevertheless, it was all the more special for me to be in the audience and experience a little concert of our group from the other side than I'm used to. And it was quite emotional, I must say! Especially this song, which you will now hear in a live version from one of our concerts last year.


As the end of the year draws near, a lot of people is getting excited for Christmas... and a lot of people is getting excited for the new Hobbit movie premiere. It's true, the world premiere of The Desolation of Smaug happened yesterday and only a couple of days is left until the film reaches us regular people ( !!!!!! ) (= that is to express my intense excitement). Why is this relevant for my music feature? Weeeell, because in November we got to hear the new Hobbit song which will play during the end credits of the film.Yet again, it is a slightly folksy tune, quite simplistic in arrangement, but all the more effective and powerful. Written and performed by the one and only Ed Sheeran. Yay, the ginger guitar boy comes back! All there is left for me is to persuade somebody to learn how to play the song, so I could sing it properly :) 


Don't know how I do it, but recently I've made myself feel very busy. Note the difference: I'm not saying that objectively speaking I was busy, but I've been feeling busy. Which is hard enough for me. One of the songs that has been keeping me smiley and swift and active has been "Pumpin Blood" by NoNoNo. I guess it's because it kept reminding me that "it's my heart, it's alive. It's pumpin' blood" :) Is that silly? That sometimes I need reminding that I am alive and it's a good thing... And since I'm alive I should do something about it and LIVE.


Mid-November, this song got stuck in my head and I cannot figure out why (other than "it just sounds so perfect!"). It's "Home" by Gabrielle Aplin, a young English singer/songwriter who got noticed last year before Christmas thanks to her mesmerizing cover of "The Power of Love" (which would have featured in my Music Monthly blogpost, had I made the effort to actually write it).
image stolen from her official website
"Home" is her original song and I've known it for a while, so I am all the more confused as to why now in particular I grew so fond of it. I'm not feeling exactly home-y right now, nor am I surrounded with people that I could relate to this song. I guess it must be just good music that catches my ear, captures my heart and doesn't let go. I'm slightly hoping to get Gabrielle's debut album for Christmas... we'll see :) If I do, I bet you'll be hearing about her at least once again. Maybe even if I don't get it, 'cause she has just released another single with a gorgeous music video and I have a feeling I might like it very very much. Anyway, here is the official lyric video for "Home", made from photos sent in by fans. I love the idea :)


And in the last honorary spot: November wouldn't be November this year, if it wasn't for Doctor Who 50th Anniversary. So it would be quite rude of me to omit the fact from my playlist and not wish the Doctor Happy Birthday with a song written especially for this occasion. This magnificent orchestral piece was composed by the show's very own composer Murray Gold and premiered earlier this year at the BBC Proms concert.
image from bbc.co.uk
The lyrics may seem a little bit strange and too... artificial at times, but nonetheless,  they still comprise and express all the emotion and the reasons why so many people worldwide love the series and its central character so dearly. I particularly love the part towards the end where it says: "...still it’s humbling to watch you reconcile divergent creeds without succumbing to the lure of weapons, force or greed, you only use intelligence and jokes and charm. Happy birthday. Doctor. You." (© Murray Gold, administered by Universal Music) Here it is: "Song For Fifty."


November over and out :) Did you enjoy the playlist? I hope you did!

Since I'm getting better at blogging about other stuff as well, not just music, I have  feeling you will hear from me sooner than in a month. Maybe there will even be something Christmasy and musical going on, who knows :) In the meantime I wish you a lovely advent time! xx

Comments

  1. This article should be named Music Monthly: November, right? Your convention so far was to name them according to the month they dealt with.
    (Pardon me, my colleagues do not call me Sheldon without reasons...)


    So you're a KaPři member, fascinating...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my goodness! thank you, Sheldon! I honestly wouldn't have noticed. fixed now ;)

      Alas, my secret is uncovered. Not sure how fascinating it is...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hudson Taylor at Electric Ballroom

Milé divadlo, chybíš mi!

Music Monthly: September 2013