Favourite Christmas Carols & Songs

Guess what! I have a special musical treat for you! Think of it as a Christmas present from me :) It's a compilation of some of my favourite Christmas songs and carols. If you find yourself too busy with last minute tidying, wrapping pressies or you're stuck in your cosily warm kitchen, tied to the cooker, preparing some yummy loveliness for your family,... I suggest you click here, where you will find a neat little youtube playlist of all the songs listed in this post, so you can listen to them while Christmas is knocking on your window sills.



Starting off with something bright and cheery: this is my all time favourite rendition of the Christmas classic "Jingle Bells", performed by Ondřej Havelka & His Melody Makers, featuring The Swings (vocal quartet). By this time, it should be no surprise to you that I am into this kind of old-timey swing music. Also, the video is quite funny, be sure to watch :)



Slowing down only a little bit, still swinging, the timeless voice of Ella Fitzgerald beckons you to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". This song, the title line especially, is something that can make you feel festive even in the odd times when you're not "feeling it", when for some reason you feel a little bit down and gloomy. Or perhaps if you are separated from your loved ones and cannot share the christmasy delights with them, ... then at least, you can have yourself just a little Christmas.



I still remember as if it was yesterday, the gloomy and cold day in late 2010 when this song premiered on the Chris Moyles Show. I think it was the first time ever I heard a "christmas song" premiering, being new... so it will always have a special place in my heart and be "my christmas song". Also, it was a spark of light in times of darkness.



Calming down and recalling what Christmas really is about, which is the birth of Jesus Christ, here is "O Holy Night", one of my fave Christmas carols in English. It has some sort of a spine-tingling quality to it, if performed properly, which this Irish lady going by the name of Lisa Hannigan is more than capable of. In the end, I opted for a live version which may be slightly less polished, but it has all the more heart and warmth. I dare you not to sing along. There's room for some lovely harmonies there :)



I will finish this Christmas music celebration with something Czech. Look at me not forgetting my roots and who I am. "Chtíc aby spal" is probably my favourite Czech carol, out of all the lot that we have. It was written in the 17th century and it's about Virgin Mary singing a lullaby to Baby Jesus. Beautiful song that will capture your heart, hopefully even if you don't understand the slightly archaic lyrics. Enjoy!



And that is all from me, just before Christmas :) I hope you have a good holiday, spend lots of quality time with your near and dear ones and generally, just have a blast! God bless you, darlings! xx

Comments

  1. Thank You!
    Have a blessed Christmas too!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCtJwxhcuCs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hudson Taylor at Electric Ballroom

Milé divadlo, chybíš mi!

Music Monthly: September 2013