Pretty Little Things

People! I mean pretty little people.

Geez, Maree, what are you talking about?

So I was picking up my niece from school the other day. Coincidentally she goes to the same school where I used to go for a couple of years when I was a little cutesy girl just like she is now. Doesn't seeing your old school always fill you with nostalgia? I found myself pining away for the times when my life was worry-free, easy and predictable, and the main responsibility I had was to do my homework.

Anyway, back to the point: as I was waiting for her, I'd been watching all the kids coming out of the building. Not in a creepy way! :D and I noticed that the overwhelming majority of them was very well dressed. They were all so stylish, the little buggers, that I had to containt myself not to comment aloud with "Ooh, that's a lovely scarf", "I love your jacket" and "This hairstyle really suits you". And that goes for both girls and boys.

It made me wonder... Have the times changed so much? Coz I don't remeber people being so stylish back in my school days. I'm not alluding to the economic situation per say. What these children were wearing, they weren't necessarily expensive clothes. After all, you don't need piles of money to look nice. You just need a bit of taste and fashion sense and a brain to apply those things to your figure.

What I am pointing to or more like inquiring about... is how is it that today's kids (or is it their mothers) have so much more dress sense and style than the 90's kids?

I think there could be several reasons for this impression of mine. One of them being that my memory is impaired (because I am sooo oooold :D ). I didn't and still don't like the 90's fasion, so chances are that my brain does not remember the clothes on purpose to spare me the pain. Or is it, just maaaaaybe, is it because of the increased influence of internet and media in general?  Is it because today's society is so heavily focused on appearance that even schoolchildren are more aware of what they wear, because they feel like they need to make a good impression with the way they look look?

I'm just throwing this out there for you to think about. I am not drawing any conclusions or making judgements whether it is a good or a bad thing that schoolchildren dress so well. And I am not commenting on how superficial we all are. Or am I? If I was to take it a step further and make a conclusion, it would probably be something like... Let's not get too carried away with appearances. I mean, I am the first one to appreaciate a pretty outfit that's well put together. But there is much more to beauty than what meets the eye. And sometimes it doesn't meet the eye at all.  So the conclusion that I am carefuly not trying to make is: appreciate outer beauty, but don't base your opinion of a person on it. First impressions are what they are. Just first impressions.

There. As if we didn't already know that. America discovered!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hudson Taylor at Electric Ballroom

Milé divadlo, chybíš mi!

Music Monthly: September 2013