Music Monthly: June 2013

Sorry, sorry, I apologize, darlings! I'm starting to suspect that there must some sort of a summer trickery going on, because as soon as there is generally more sun than clouds in the sky, I lose my ability to post articles more or less on time. This exact thing happened last year. Everything was fine for 5 months and then the series fell apart. But here I am again, fighting the laziness and giving you what you deserve, which is my 5 most listened to songs from June. I admit it wasn't easy to compile this playlist. I usually try to find at least an echo of a theme that would bind these particular songs together, and with this month it seemed particularly impossible. On the other hand, I suppose that the common denominator of these songs is, after all, me.
Read on for a little bit of Lana Del Rey and some Doctor Who music...

I have probably mentioned it before (if not, that's only because I'm a ridiculous procrastinator and the articles where I would have mentioned it have not been written yet. oops.), but there is something weirdly magical about Lana Del Rey. Honestly, I don't think she is that special. I don't even like her that much. Some of her songs are nice. That's it. Nothing fancy or super important. And whenever she has a new song out and I happen to hear it on the radio or somewhere, I am determined not to like it. I just don't want to like it, why would I, they're not super innovative miraculous songs. They are not life changing pieces, neither in lyrics, nor in composition. What happens next? The song invades my head and I find myself involuntarily singing it for days and days. And it goes on until I grow to really like the song. That's what happens. Same case with "Young and Beautiful". Now you are probably wondering why I am not talking about the new film adaptation of The Great Gatsby, where this song comes from. Simple answer: I haven't seen it yet. Which is a crime against pop culture, I know, I am ashamed. I really want to see it. Not so much because of the buzz around it, but because I want to experience it, make my own opinion about the adaptation and especially about the music used in the film. I assure you that if I get to see it, a mesmerized blog post will follow. Now, let's hear it.



This next song is no novelty, quite the opposite actually, it has been one of my favourites for quite a while. But recently it has been stealing more direct attention from me. What can I say... Ed Sheeran and a waltz. It wakes up my inner sleeping film maker and director of music videos, who then teams up with the inner choreographer and they end up planning a marvelous music video featuring multiple dancing couples waltzing and swirling around the place... Until both of them realize that I, in fact, have no idea how to shoot or edit videos, I don't have cameras or lights or anything, and most importantly, I don't have multiple dancing couples. So in the end, they decide to forget about the whole thing and go to sleep again. There. That is my story related to this song. Now listen to it. You can close your eyes and try to imagine the music video I would make, if I knew how to make miracles.



Right in the middle of my little playlist, there's a song pointed out to me by my dear friend Elizabeth (Shout Out!!!) It's from Justin Timberlake's recent album (when I say recent, I mean spring) and... well see for yourself. It is a seven-minute bath of blissful loveliness and calm. If you're in the right mood for this, you could just listen to it on repeat for ever and ever... and fall asleep, fall into the best dream you have ever had... and never wake up... (oops that got a bit sinister :D ) I have not been very keen on JT's music in the past, but I must say that what I've heard from the new album, sounds rather good to me. So I will be curious to see what happens next. Now, get ready to turn off the world for seven minutes and listen to "Blue Ocean Floor".



And now we move from the "publicly well known artists" towards the curious world of the internet. There was an important thing that happened to me in June. I started watching Doctor Who. Finally! What a life changing event. I am not joking. Putting television addiction aside (it may or may not get an article of its own some day), I have a song for you to represent me becoming a Whovian :) Lo and behold. the band that made this song comprises of some of my favourite YouTube people. What a surprise. There's this band called Chameleon Circuit and they do music inspired by and related to Doctor Who. I found out about them a couple of months ago and I also listened to a few of the songs. I didn't understand the meaning of them very much, but it was ok. Well, the minute I sat down to watch my first episode, out of the blue, it started making sense. It felt... it was a sensational experience of two huge pieces of a puzzle coming together and making sense... I... I apologize, I'm afraid there's no comprehensible way I could explain this. Either you've been there and you know what I mean, or you don't. Anyway, here's that song for you: "An Awful Lot of Running". Enjoy! and if you are a Whovian, enjoy 10 times more!



Still staying on the internety side of things, I've got some Tom Milsom for you. And a little boring story: Tom Milsom (aka hexachordal) was the first ever person I subscribed to on YouTube, years and years ago, when I created my account that I barely use(d). I stopped following him after a while, un-subscribed and forgot about him. Years later, through somebody different, I "discover" him again. That's the magic of internet for you. Story time over, song time now! "Take Me Out" is a summery, strange, slightly eccentric... experience, crowned by Tom's brilliant vocal, which I simply adore. His voice seems oddly familiar to me, reminds me of someone I cannot identify... If you like the song and care enough to find out more about what it means, head over to the YouTube video and read the top comment, where Tom explains it in his own words. Having read that explanation, I like the song even more. And I am less surprised by liking it in the first place.



There we are, June edition is finally behind us. If you have any suggestions or if there is anything you would like to say, please, do not hesitate to comment below. Any sort of feedback is much appreciated!!! I will try to behave and post the next Music Monthly properly on time. and if we're lucky, maybe I will throw in something else in between :) I hope you are all having a lovely summer, surviving the heat and the sunshine. Remember to hydrate!

Until next time, my non-existing readers. Take care, xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hudson Taylor at Electric Ballroom

Music Monthly: September 2013

Milé divadlo, chybíš mi!