Goodbye, 2014! Hello, New Year!

image and positive vibes from Sprinkle of Glitter


So it appears to be the new year. How did that happen, eh? It seems only like yesterday that I was summarizing the previous year and building a hopeful and active mindset for 2014. Well, maybe not like yesterday, but the day before that. This post shall be similar to last year's, a little look back at what happened and a look ahead at what is to come. I hope you enjoy.

Here's a little run down of what 2014 was for me:


Good things of 2014:

  • skating and a lot of dancing
  • I went to a total of 5 weddings and actually had fun at most of them, which is unprecedented for me.
  • singing with the choir
  • Travelling to London (Yay!) and a couple of nearer places (Nürnberg + various corners of my country, mainly with the choir)
  • I applied for more jobs (with some part time results).
  • I've been a good citizen and helped in election committees.
  • I started a re-qualification course (finishing it is a different story).
  • I enjoyed little moments of friendship.
♥ Heart Awards 2014 ♥ 
Music discovery of the year: Flyte.
Film discovery of the year: Tom Hiddleston.
TV discovery of the year: The Musketeers.

Not so good things of 2014:

  • not seeing the Donmar Warehouse production of Coriolanus!!! and I could have, it was live streamed to cinemas around the world thanks to NT Live. There shall never be a day of my life that I cease to regret my decision to not see it, because "I'm not into the Roman plays". Stupid! Stupid! Also, please, help me swamp NT Live with requests for an encore screening.
  • I let the the circumstances (and perhaps other people) persuade me about importance of certain things against things that were important to my heart and got incidentally sidetracked ->
  • I am very sad that I let the blog fall apart. I realize now how much I miss writing it, writing about music in particular.
  • my head is not as great as I thought it was. I still need help to get better. Perhaps if I had realized sooner, some things could have gone differently. One opportunity in particular, might have been taken, rather than shunned...


Where has all that active mindset gone? and the positive thinking? For the first part of the year, I think I was pretty great at it, to be honest, and I think it reflected in the frequency of my blog posts as well. Of course, it all culminated with my ever so famous and adventurous trip to London, which apparently I will not shut up about. For years. Because that's how long it takes me to finish all the London blog posts. Sorry about that if you care. If you don't, great. You will be getting an occasional flashback post full of my London memories.


In the second half of the year, I feel like I kind of lost track of myself. I got a bit overrun by circumstances, events, people... I kept going, because it felt like it was the thing to do. No stopping, no overthinking. Keep moving even if you don't know where it's leading you. If it's the wrong way, you will find out eventually. And I did. It wasn't a bad part part of the year. There were plenty of lovely moments, as documented in my little collage below. But inside me, it was going downhill.

* * *


Now comes the time to move on, take a deep breath and start again, start afresh. Make myself the main character of my life story and live it the best way that I can. I need to get my motto from last year back into my head and keep it there.
"Try to do things, rather than find reasons why I cannot do them. "
That should include things I'm not good at (yet). My perfectionism has been growing stronger lately and getting the better of me again. I need to allow myself to be bad at things, so that I could get better at them. "Things" being anything from editing videos through talking to new people to conducting a choir.

I do not usually set myself any sort of "traditional" new year's resolutions. I find it very tricky to come up with goals that are the perfect balance of challenging, yet realistically manageable. Having said that, I have quite incidentally thought of 3 things that I would like to achieve in 2015 (apart from all the obvious ones like finding a job, moving out, etc.): 
  1. Read more than 5 books. (I know, I know, it doesn't seem like that much of a challenge. But I still haven't rediscovered my reading mojo. This could be the year to do it. For the past couple of years I usually read 5 books. So, if I do more than 5, that's great. Doesn't matter how many. If it's 7, good. If 15, even better!) DONE! 
  2. Record a video of me singing a cover of a song and upload it on YouTube.
  3. Go on a trip to Southern Bohemia (preferably with some friends), because I miss that land sooo very much!
I'd like to read what your goals and aspirations for the new year are. Do you have a special motivational quote that you come back to?

For now let me wish you a pleasant start to the new year and I shall see you soon :) xx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hudson Taylor at Electric Ballroom

Milé divadlo, chybíš mi!

Music Monthly: September 2013