Sharpen Your Swords and Load Your Muskets!


The boys (and girls) are back !

img source

I never got around to telling you about this TV gem, but since the second series is hitting the British television sets in 2 days, it is indispensable that I point you in the right direction. (In case you're missing out.)

Obviously, there is no need for me to say that we're dealing with the three/actually four musketeers based on the infamous novel by Alexander Dumas. The Three Musketeers must be one of the most favourite works of literature to be adapted for the big and small screen (my favourite version being the 1961 French one). This new BBC serial adaptation premiered in 2014 and is perhaps a little unconventional in terms of "adapting" a classic piece of literature. I like that the characters are heavily based on their literary counterparts and the overall mood and general direction of the stories stay true to the original (I can tell, I've read it). However, there are new themes and ideas, inventive new sub-plots added into the picture, and it is all tied up in an exciting bundle, attractive for a contemporary viewer.
Basically there's something in it for everybody: drama, adventure, action, a bit of crime, political intrigue and of course romance and humour. Not to mention great costumes (seriously, well done, costume department) and lovely cinematography that shows off the fabulous locations of my country. Now we're getting to the real reasons that made me watch the series: One was to see the newly cast Doctor, Peter Capaldi, as the menacing plot maker, cardinal Richelieu; the other to enjoy the beauties of the Czech Republic captured on screen (and pretending to be France;).

It just so happens that the BBC Musketeers are filmed in Prague (and around Prague and at other locations all over the country - depending on how many castles, monasteries and palace gardens they need to use.) It almost feels like the sets and locations are not a mere backdrop for the action, but play a character in themselves. I must say that it fills me with pride and joy to read the last line of the end credits: "Shot on location in Czech Republic". I feel proud and honoured that my lovely home can host The Musketeers and contribute to making such a wonderful and decent piece of television.

If all this fails to interest you, there is always the eye-candy-licious (and no less gifted in their acting) cast of Tom Burke (Athos), Howard Charles (Porthos), Santiago Cabrera (Aramis) and Luke Pasqualino (D'Artagnan). I should not forget the spectacularly talented ladies such as Maimie McCoy (Milady de Winter), Tamla Kari (Constance Bonacieux) and Alexandra Dowling (Queen Anne). Oh and if king Louis XIII seems familiar, it's probably because you've recently seen The Hobbit film, where Ryan Gage appears as the sneaky coward Alfrid.
the royal couple


All throughout this year, I have been running into different places in Prague that were blocked off for filming and I knew it must have been The Musketeers. Until one day a friend on facebook shared her early morning surprise: When she was getting back home from a night shift, she ran into "a couple of handsome horses and round the corner, some musketeers". Mind you, I would have phrased that differently ;) As I have hinted at the end of August, I then took on the mission to stroll around that place in hope of also running into a 17th century French swordsman, but alas, the weather was againts me. It was one of those summer storms, when it rains so heavily, you can hardly see 2 feet in front of you. To say I got a bit drenched is an understatement. Naturally, there was nobody to be seen, because all the sensible people were hiding from the rain. But I did see the camp of parked trailers and walked past the one labeled "Athos". Yay!

I hear they will be back in 2015 to film another series. Cue desperate attempts to conjure up any sort of skill that could be useful in making a television series, so I could be a part of the adventure project. Or should I just concentrate on perfecting my stalking abilities... Nah, I wouldn't be comfortable with that...

For now, I can't wait to see series 2 and to play the game of "Do you recognize the location?" Of course, most of the times I won't, because the set design department does such a great job, that you cannot tell which bit of an alley is real and which was built and decorated by somebody's crafty hands only for the series.

I can't wait to see where they take the show. We have a new villain to look forward to: As Peter Capaldi had to give up is role as Cardinal Richelieu (understandably, due to other, timey wimey engagements), the main cast is joined by Marc Warren as Comte de Rochefort. The creators promise the show will take a "darker and sexier" turn. (Read more on what you can expect from series 2 here for instance.) So... we'll see. I'm just so curious and excited to see it already and be able to say if I like or not!




Only 2 sleeps now!!!

Oh, also: Happy End of 2014 and Happy New Year, dear readers!

Question for you: What tv/film/book/music/cultural event are you excited for in 2015? Hit me up with some suggestions :)


Comments

  1. I can't wait to dive into this show!!! Oh the costumes, so beautiful!!

    Gemma
    Faded Windmills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gemma :) They really are splendid, aren't they? Then again, all these great people in the show could be dressed in rags and they would still be amazing. x Marie

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hudson Taylor at Electric Ballroom

Music Monthly: September 2013

Milé divadlo, chybíš mi!