Music Monthly: October 2013

Why does it always get so hard to post regularly in this time of year? It was the same last year. Actually last year it was probably even a little bit worse. Which then resulted in the whole thing crumbling down and the last 4 articles never saw the light of day. Well, in 2013 I actually intend to struggle and post them, however late that may be. If you need somebody to blame for the horrible blogpost delay, blame some of my friends who ask me to translate stuff for them, or write magazine articles. Or blame me that I agree to do such silly things instead of focusing on the realy important stuff like my blog is, am I right? ;)
 
Never mind that. October in music turned a little bit more indie for me. At least that's what I like to call it. I started watching a new music channel introduced to my tv channels package (Óčko Expres, if any of you Czech readers are wondering). I like it because it is much more varied in genres of music and definitely a lot less mainstream-pop-for-teenagers than the main channel. So, when I was at a loss as to what songs I should play in this edition of Music Monthly and I had 3 free spots in the playlist, I just chose 3 songs that I heard on the telly and I liked them. So if this seems a little bit random, that's because it is. Except for the end, that's not random at all, but you'll see what I mean when you get there.

Song no.1 was chosen for a heartwarming music video full of insanely slick dancing. I always appreaciate good dancing, no matter what the style. And this made my jaw drop the first time I saw it. Soundwise: good electro dance music by Basement Jaxx.



Next up: "Amalfi" by Hooverphonic. I know literally nothing about these bands :D Although this one in particular I would like to hear more of. It sounds so dreamy and the lead singing lady has a fabulous voice. 


Last of my brief outbursts of randomness: "Run Boy Run" by Woodkid. Another unkown name for me, but I beg you to watch the video. It's a very powerful piece, brilliantly combined with the song. And then any time you find yourself gloomy and discouraged on your way to school or to work, just remember this song and the video. Then take a deep breath and bravely run forward to conquer the world! 


And now to continue my ongoing theme of Irish musicians. (Btw, I'm honestly not doing this on purpose. Somehow Irish people, music, language, things... always find me.) Please meet this lovely and wonderfully talented young lady, the amazingly ginger singer/songwriter, Orla Gartland :) "Roots" is the title track from her debut EP, which is available on iTunes worldwide now. Go check it out! 


When I first clicked on the song, I was a little bit sceptic, but within one minute I was grinning like an idiot and singing along. Conclusion: good song! Very omptimistic and smiley. And there's never enough of those two, is there? :)


So who is it this month at the special last place in my playlist? 
 
Did I really say I was gonna shut up about Hudson Taylor? Hahah! I wonder if anyone was foolish enough to believe me. Nope, not gonna shut up about them. Although technically, this one shouldn't count, because it is a cover, ladies and gentleman. And I actually knew and liked the song even before they covered it and uploaded to YouTube. So as the final piece, you're getting a two-in-one package of two great bands: Arctic Monkeys with their recent hit "Why'd You Only Call Me When Your High?" and then some Hudson Taylor flavoured bit of acoustic magic. Enjoy! You're ears may thank me later.


There we are for the month of October. I do apologize if it seems a bit too brief and hurried, but I am rushing to get this up as soon as I can, before I bury myself in some more translating etc. If you've been waiting for this (yes, I mean you, Adalberto :) you deserve a special award for your patience. Unfortunately I can't promise it will be better next time. I suspect things are only going to get more crazily busy than they already are. Haha, consider I don't have a job now. I'm scared to think what will my blog look like when I actually have one :D

Please, tell me in the comments what is your favourite newly discovered song this week/month/recent time period. I'd like to know :)

I'm off. Follow me on twitter for more gossip and fun. I mean, regular blog updates of course!
Take care! xx

Comments

  1. You know what? I find it actually pretty cool, that you have things that keep you from wasting time on internet. I appreciate your efforts all the same. :-)

    As to my newly discovered songs... It's not new, but I came across it recently while pondering the most mysterious question of our time "What does the fox say?" - I'm slightly hesitant to mention it because it has VERY explicit lyrics but in satire and parody some profanity could be justified, right? Anyway, since I don't know how to post clickable links in the comments just google Ylvis - Someone Like Me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hudson Taylor at Electric Ballroom

Music Monthly: September 2013

Milé divadlo, chybíš mi!