Introductions


Hello, reader! Welcome to Dance The Drizzle!

First, let me tell you a little bit about myself and explain what you can or cannot expect here.

My full name is Marie Honetschlagerova, don’t bother trying to pronounce that. Marie or Maree will do just fine.

I am a passionate music lover, and at the moment most of my writing is related to that. I am interested in other aspects of culture such as film, television, … sometimes literature…  If things go according to plan I would like to throw in some film articles occasionally.  Or just tackle any interesting topic that I find inspiring or stuck in my head for no good reason.

Why “Dance the Drizzle”?
Shall I be honest? It should have been “Dance the Rain”, but that one was already taken. *sigh* So here’s my original explanation for Dance the rain:
It is taken from a song lyric by Take That, which says “Learning how to dance the rain”. Now, I admit, the syntax of the line eludes me. Some people dance the waltz or the cha-cha, Take That, apparently, dance the rain. Good for them. How can I do that? :) I presume it’s “dance in the rain” only for mysterious song-lyric reasons omitting the preposition.

When I think of dancing in the rain, 2 things spring to my mind. One: Gene Kelly skipping about in puddles of water in the middle of the street. Two: that overused, slightly cliché, but nevertheless inspiring quote that says: “Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.” (Vivian Greene) I’ve been through some big storms in my life and although it takes a lot of effort and time, I think I’m trying to learn how to dance.

When I found out that “dancetherain” was already taken as a domain, I looked up synonyms for rain, and drizzle popped up. So I thought, why not. After all, at the moment there are not any major storms going on in my life. A drizzle is rather fitting.


This is my second blog project. I have had another blog for a couple of years now (which you can visit here, if you like) but recently I’ve been struggling with the bilingual aspect of my articles. You see, I am bilingual. Although I am 100% Czech, English has invaded and taken over my life, so much so that sometimes I find it easier to write and express myself in English than in my actual mother tongue. In the end I came up with a solution, i.e. start this new blog to keep my English and my Czech articles separate. Also this should allow any international readers to comment and interact with me, which has been rather impossible at the website where my first blog is.

So the plan is to keep both blogs. The original one predominantly in Czech and this one in English, with more or less identical content. Also there is some unfinished business on my previous blog, projects that I started and never got around finishing them… So I would like to attempt doing that, while having a fresh and clean slate (this place) to write anything new.

So, I hope that I will make good use of this new place. Please excuse if it looks rather bare and simple for now. This blogging platform is completely new to me and I am just finding my feet. I hope that when I settle in a bit more, you will find Dance the Drizzle a nice and warm, welcoming little spot, with a good read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hudson Taylor at Electric Ballroom

Music Monthly: September 2013

Milé divadlo, chybíš mi!